The Summer Palace

The Summer Palace, or Garden of Ease and Harmony, was initially landscaped in 1751, but was destroyed European troops in 1860 and again in 1900. The Empress Dowager restored the park's buildings in the 1880s and then in 1902.


| The Forbidden City | The Summer Palace | The Ming Tombs |

Much of the source material for these captions comes from Charis Chan's Imperial China, part of the Penguin Books Architectural Guides for Travellers series. For information on purchasing the book, visit

Visitors since March 19, 2001

Home Travel | Photos | Ideas | Writing | Guestbook |

Copyright 2002 Alison Stuebe

Alison's Wonderland /